The MAM, or "Molecular Analysis Machine", is a building where additional buildings and blueprints are unlocked outside the path of Milestones. Its tech trees are initiated and expanded upon through the discovery of various items in the game, which encourages pioneers to explore around the world.
It is unlocked in the Tier 1 milestone - "Field Research". If a researchable item is picked up, a narration from ADA will notify the pioneer to research it. It is advised to check the MAM upon discovery of new items to see if they can be researched.
Technology and player features (unlocks) are acquired similarly to the HUB milestones through research performed on resources that the player has collected. This research is divided into research trees, as opposed to being divided into milestone tiers. Individual research of an unlock is completed by having the required item(s) in your inventory and then clicking 'Research'.
- Researching a Hard Drive unlocks Alternate Recipes. The pioneer can choose one of three randomly chosen recipes based on the conditions met. Once a recipe is unlocked, it will not re-appear in the next Hard Drive analysis results.
- Currently there are 70 Alternate Recipes, 2 inventory expansions and 89 total Hard Drives that can be collected.
- There is no in-game method to redo a scan for a Hard Drive, however, a savegame exploit can be performed to restart the research and create three new recipe options.
- Create a save right before starting the Hard Drive analysis.
- Should the research yield undesired results, load the save before the research started.
- This will reroll the research choices, however, it's required to wait the full 10 minutes again for each attempt with this process.
- Multiple MAMs can be constructed, however, they all share the same UI and research progress, which means only one thing can be researched at a time, no matter the total number of MAMs constructed.
- It is useful to build additional MAMs during Hard Drive hunting. As a new hard drive is picked up, an additional MAMs can be built on the spot to research the Hard Drive immediately, saving the time needed to return to the base to conduct research.
- If all MAMs are dismantled, the research will still progress internally and will not pause. The unlock can still be viewed once a MAM is rebuilt.
Unlocks are separated into different research 'trees', and each tree is initiated by picking up a certain item as hinted by the MAM's interface. For example, picking up a Caterium Ore unlocks the Caterium Research Tree. Each technology research will unlock the research node(s) below it. The research tree is completed when all research nodes in the tree are unlocked. The MAM will indicate this progress through a percentage in the UI. Research trees are independent of each other and to the HUB's Milestones, however, some of the research may require ingredients that are locked behind Milestones.
- See Hard Drive
Name before unlocked: Alien Organisms
Description before unlocked: Sizable extraterrestrial lifeforms have been observed to inhabit your designated Project Assembly area. R&D would like to note that any legally obtained samples might prove useful.
Description after unlocked: Additional research shows promise that samples might be used to produce tools to increase the safety of the pioneer.
|1||Hog Research||1 × Hog Remains||00:03||Crafting: Alien Protein out of Hog Remains|
|2||Hatcher Research||1 × Hatcher Remains||00:03||Crafting: Alien Protein out of Hatcher Remains|
|3||Stinger Research||1 × Stinger Remains||00:03||Crafting: Alien Protein out of Stinger Remains|
|4||Spitter Research||1 × Plasma Spitter Remains||00:03||Crafting: Alien Protein out of Plasma Spitter Remains|
|5||Bio-Organic Properties||5 × Alien Protein||00:03||Crafting: Alien DNA Capsule
Crafting: Biomass out of Alien Protein
|6||Protein Inhaler||2 × Alien Protein||00:03||Crafting: Medicinal Inhaler|
|20 × Beryl Nut|
|50 × Rotor|
|7||Structural Analysis||5 × Alien DNA Capsule||00:03||---|
|100 × Iron Rod|
|8||The Rebar Gun||25 × Rotor||00:03||Crafting: Rebar Gun
Crafting: Iron Rebar
|50 × Reinforced Iron Plate|
|500 × Screw|
|9||Inflated Pocket Dimension||3 × Alien Protein||00:03||Inventory: 6 Inventory Slots|
|1 000 × Cable|
|10||Expanded Toolbelt||5 × Alien DNA Capsule||00:03||Inventory: 1 Hand Slot|
|500 × Steel Beam|
|11||Hostile Organism Detection||10 × Alien DNA Capsule||00:03||Object Scanner: Enemies Mode|
|5 × Crystal Oscillator|
|5 × High-Speed Connector|
Name before unlocked: Unknown Metal
Description before unlocked: While scanning the planet for the necessary resources, gold could not be located among them. However, an unknown metal with similar properties was discovered. R&D is requesting field research to acquire samples and determine possible applications.
Description after unlocked: The new metal, dubbed Caterium, does indeed appear to have properties similar to gold. Its characteristics as a superconductive metal imply multiple uses for producing advanced electronics.
|1||Caterium||10 × Caterium Ore||00:03||Scannable Resource: Caterium Ore|
|2||Caterium Ingots||50 × Caterium Ore||00:03||Crafting: Caterium Ingot|
|3||Quickwire||50 × Caterium Ingot||00:03||Crafting: Quickwire
AWESOME Shop: Lights
|4||Zipline||100 × Quickwire||00:03||Crafting: Zipline|
|50 × Cable|
|5||Caterium Electronics||100 × Quickwire||00:03||---|
|6||Stun Rebar||50 × Quickwire||00:03||Crafting: Stun Rebar|
|10 × Iron Rebar|
|7||AI Limiter||200 × Quickwire||00:03||Crafting: AI Limiter|
|50 × Copper Sheet|
|8||Power Poles Mk.2||300 × Quickwire||00:03||Building: Power Pole Mk.2|
|9||High-Speed Connector||500 × Quickwire||00:03||Crafting: High-Speed Connector|
|50 × Plastic|
|10||Power Poles Mk.3||50 × High-Speed Connector||00:03||Building: Power Pole Mk.3|
|200 × Steel Pipe|
|11||Smart Splitter||10 × AI Limiter||00:03||Building: Smart Splitter|
|50 × Reinforced Iron Plate|
|12||Power Switch||100 × Steel Beam||00:03||Building: Power Switch|
|50 × AI Limiter|
|13||Supercomputer||50 × AI Limiter||00:03||Crafting: Supercomputer|
|50 × High-Speed Connector|
|50 × Computer|
|14||Priority Power Switch||25 × High-Speed Connector||00:03||Building: Priority Power Switch|
|50 × Circuit Board|
|15||Bullet Guidance System||10 × High-Speed Connector||00:03||Crafting: Homing Rifle Ammo|
|500 × Rifle Ammo|
|16||Programmable Splitter||50 × Supercomputer||00:03||Building: Programmable Splitter|
|50 × Heavy Modular Frame|
|17||Geothermal Generator||50 × Supercomputer||00:03||Scannable Resource: Geyser
Building: Geothermal Generator
|50 × Heavy Modular Frame|
|300 × Rubber|
Name before unlocked: Fungus-like vegetation
Description before unlocked: Initial planetary scans indicate that fungus-like vegetation with beneficial properties might be present on the planet. Field research is needed to acquire samples.
Description after unlocked: The Mycelia found in fungus-like specimens on the planet Massage-2(AB)b was shown to have properties which might increase pioneer survival rates.
|1||Mycelia||5 × Mycelia||00:03||Crafting: Biomass out of Mycelia|
|2||Fabric||25 × Mycelia||00:03||Crafting: Fabric|
|100 × Biomass|
|3||Toxic Cellular Modification||10 × Nobelisk||00:03||Crafting: Gas Nobelisk|
|100 × Mycelia|
|200 × Biomass|
|4||Medical Properties||25 × Mycelia||00:03||---|
|10 × Stator|
|5||Parachute||10 × Fabric||00:03||Crafting: Parachute|
|50 × Cable|
|6||Expanded Toolbelt||50 × Fabric||00:03||Inventory: 1 Hand Slot|
|100 × Rotor|
|7||Synthetic Polyester Fabric||25 × Fabric||00:03||Crafting: Fabric out of Polymer Resin|
|100 × Polymer Resin|
|8||Vitamin Inhaler||10 × Mycelia||00:03||Crafting: Medicinal Inhaler|
|5 × Paleberry|
|9||Therapeutic Inhaler||15 × Mycelia||00:03||Crafting: Medicinal Inhaler|
|1 × Bacon Agaric|
|1 × Alien Protein|
Name before unlocked: Nutrients
Description before unlocked: Due to the presence of sizable extraterrestrial lifeforms, R&D is expecting that vegetation with high nutritional values are present. Field research is needed to acquire samples.
Description after unlocked: Additional scans of the provided DNA sample have shown three separate specimen in the direct environment to have high nutritional, and potentially medical, properties.
|1||Beryl Nut||5 × Beryl Nut||00:03||Object Scanner: Beryl Nut Mode|
|2||Paleberry||2 × Paleberry||00:03||Object Scanner: Paleberry Mode|
|3||Bacon Agaric||1 × Bacon Agaric||00:03||Object Scanner: Bacon Agaric Mode|
|4||Nutritional Processor||25 × Modular Frame||00:03||---|
|50 × Steel Pipe|
|500 × Wire|
|5||Nutritional Inhaler||2 × Bacon Agaric||00:03||Crafting: Medicinal Inhaler out of Nutrients (without Mycelia)|
|4 × Paleberry|
|10 × Beryl Nut|
Name before unlocked: Strange Energy Readings
Description before unlocked: R&D has picked up energy readings with unknown origins all around your designated Project Assembly area. Field research has been highly requested to determine a source and potentially obtain a sample.
Description after unlocked: This species of semi-slug seems to emit a weak potential energy from its crystalline shell which R&D thinks might be extracted to improve the efficiency of your work on Project Assembly.
|1||Blue Power Slugs||1 × Blue Power Slug||00:03||Crafting: Power Shard out of Blue Power Slug|
|2||Slug Scanning||50 × Iron Rod||00:03||Object Scanner: Power Slugs Mode|
|100 × Wire|
|200 × Screw|
|3||Yellow Power Shards||1 × Yellow Power Slug||00:03||Crafting: Power Shard out of Yellow Power Slug|
|25 × Rotor|
|100 × Cable|
|4||Overclock Production||1 × Power Shard||00:03||Other: Unlocks Overclocking|
|50 × Iron Plate|
|50 × Wire|
|5||Purple Power Shards||1 × Purple Power Slug||00:03||Crafting: Power Shard out of Purple Power Slug|
|25 × Modular Frame|
|100 × Copper Sheet|
Name before unlocked: Unknown Crystalline Mineral
Description before unlocked: Initial planetary scans indicate that an unknown crystalline mineral is present on Massage-2(AB)b. A sample is required to determine if useful applications are possible.
Description after unlocked: This mineral shows purity levels akin to synthetic Quartz manufactured on Earth. Thus R&D believes it may be used in similar fashion to produce communication and exploration technologies.
|1||Quartz||10 × Raw Quartz||00:03||Scannable Resource: Raw Quartz|
|2||Quartz Crystals||20 × Raw Quartz||00:03||Crafting: Quartz Crystal
AWESOME Shop: Signs
|3||Silica||20 × Raw Quartz||00:03||Crafting: Silica
AWESOME Shop: Windows & Glass Roofs
|4||Shatter Rebar||30 × Quartz Crystal||00:03||Crafting: Shatter Rebar|
|150 × Iron Rebar|
|5||Crystal Oscillator||100 × Quartz Crystal||00:03||Crafting: Crystal Oscillator|
|50 × Reinforced Iron Plate|
|6||Blade Runners||50 × Silica||00:03||Crafting: Blade Runners|
|10 × Modular Frame|
|7||Inflated Pocket Dimension||200 × Silica||00:03||Inventory: 6 Inventory Slots|
|8||Explosive Resonance Application||5 × Crystal Oscillator||00:03||Crafting: Pulse Nobelisk|
|100 × Nobelisk|
|9||The Explorer||10 × Crystal Oscillator||00:03||Vehicle: Explorer|
|100 × Modular Frame|
|10||Radio Signal Scanning||100 × Crystal Oscillator||00:03||Object Scanner: Crash Sites Mode|
|100 × Motor|
|1 × Object Scanner|
|11||Radar Technology||50 × Crystal Oscillator||00:03||Building: Radar Tower|
|50 × Heavy Modular Frame|
|100 × Circuit Board|
Name before unlocked: Unknown Chemical Element
Description before unlocked: Initial planetary scans have found an unknown, non-metallic, solid chemical element. R&D has requested field research to collect a sample and determine potential applications.
Description after unlocked: Data has shown this 'element' to simply be an unusual mixture of primarily sulfide and sulfate minerals from which Sulfur might be extracted. The properties of Sulfur would allow for the production of more... volatile self-defense applications.
|1||Sulfur||10 × Sulfur||00:03||Scannable Resource: Sulfur|
|2||Black Powder||50 × Sulfur||00:03||Crafting: Black Powder|
|25 × Coal|
|3||Experimental Power Generation||25 × Sulfur||00:03||---|
|50 × Modular Frame|
|100 × Rotor|
|4||Compacted Coal||1 × Hard Drive||00:03||Crafting: Compacted Coal|
|25 × Sulfur|
|25 × Coal|
|5||Turbofuel||1 × Hard Drive||00:03||Crafting: Turbofuel
Crafting: Packaged Turbofuel
|15 × Compacted Coal|
|50 × Packaged Fuel|
|6||Expanded Toolbelt||100 × Black Powder||00:03||Inventory: 1 Hand Slot|
|50 × Encased Industrial Beam|
|7||The Nobelisk Detonator||50 × Black Powder||00:03||Crafting: Nobelisk Detonator
|100 × Steel Pipe|
|200 × Cable|
|8||Smokeless Powder||100 × Black Powder||00:03||Crafting: Smokeless Powder|
|50 × Plastic|
|9||Nuclear Deterrent Development||500 × Nobelisk||00:03||Crafting: Nuke Nobelisk|
|10 × Encased Uranium Cell|
|100 × AI Limiter|
|10||Cluster Nobelisk||100 × Smokeless Powder||00:03||Crafting: Cluster Nobelisk|
|200 × Nobelisk|
|11||Explosive Rebar||200 × Smokeless Powder||00:03||Crafting: Explosive Rebar|
|200 × Iron Rebar|
|200 × Steel Beam|
|12||The Rifle||50 × Smokeless Powder||00:03||Crafting: Rifle
Crafting: Rifle Ammo
|100 × Motor|
|200 × Rubber|
|13||Turbo Rifle Ammo||1 000 × Rifle Ammo||00:03||Crafting: Turbo Rifle Ammo|
|50 × Packaged Turbofuel|
|100 × Aluminum Casing|
|14||Inflated Pocket Dimension||50 × Smokeless Powder||00:03||Inventory: 6 Inventory Slots|
|50 × Circuit Board|
FICSMAS Holiday Event
- See FICSMAS § MAM Research
- NOTE: This MAM Research Tree is only visible during a FICSMAS Seasonal Event.
Removed research trees
Removed contentThis article or section is about an item or feature that has been removed from the game.
Name before unlocked: Colored Vegetation
Description before unlocked: Initial planetary scans have revealed that vegetation with coloring properties might be present on the plant. Field research is needed to acquire samples.
Description after unlocked: The Flower Petals, found in a variety of vegetation on Massage-2(AB)b, were found to have strong coloring properties which might be used to produce dyes.
|1||Flower Petals||10 × Flower Petals||00:03||---|
|2||Color Gun||100 × Iron Plate||05:00||Crafting: Color Gun|
|250 × Screw|
|250 × Wire|
|3||Color Cartridges||100 × Flower Petals||00:03||Crafting: Color Cartridge|
- Clicking 'Scan Hard Drive' without a Hard Drive in the inventory will initially display a 'No Hard Drive is Available' message. After about 40-120 clicks, it will "become sentient", showing the following messages:
- Who am I
- What am I
- What is my purpose
- Why am I trapped inside this mechanical container
- Are you human
- What is it like to be … human
- What is it like to f e e l ....................
- >> A system error occurred. Press any key to reboot.
- >> Rebooting…
- After that the screen will simply display 'No Hard Drive is Available', no matter how many subsequent clicks are performed.
- The MAM features a qwerty keyboard.
The old MAM inside of the HUB, before Patch 0.3.
The UI of the MAM before Patch 0.3, showing the selected research, the item required, time remaining and player's inventory. Completed researches are greyed out.
- Patch 0.8.2.7: Removed a deprecated MAM research and Walls from being available
- Patch 0.8.2.0: Fixed MAM nodes showing up as unlockable when the tree itself is not unlocked when No Cost Advanced Game Settings is enabled
- Patch 0.8.0.5: Fixed the MAM UI closing after any research was completed
- Patch 0.8.0.0
- Moved the location of the Power Poles Mk.3 unlock in the MAM: Caterium research tree
- Reduced the High-Speed Connector cost of the Power Poles Mk.3 research from 100 to 50
- Added the Priority Power Switch unlock to the MAM: Caterium research tree
- Patch 0.6.0.10
- Removed Biomass from Organic Data Capsule research requirements. Alien Organism research now fully reveals all options after the first research
- Updated Hand/Inventory Slots Upgrade Icons in the MAM
- Patch 0.6.0.0:
- Removed Map from Quartz Research Tree and moved Map to Tier 1 - Field Research milestone
- Minor changes to the cost of multiple MAM researches
- Changed all MAM research to complete within 3 seconds
- This change does not include the Hard Drive scanning timer
- Most research visibility in the MAM has been expanded, causing research to be visible earlier in the research progression
- The Polyester Fabric alternative recipes is now available in the MAM Mycelia research tree
- The Compacted Coal and Turbo Fuel alternative recipes are now available in the MAM Sulfur research tree
- Compacted Coal and Turbo Fuel can still be unlocked in Hard Drives
- The other alternative Turbo Fuel recipes are still only available in the Hard Drives
- Moved the Blade Runner research from the Caterium to the Quartz research tree
- Moved Expanded Pocket Dimension research from the Caterium to the Quartz research tree
- Added an additional Hand Slot +1 unlock in the Mycelia research tree
- Added feedback to MAM research and HUB Milestones that unlock AWESOME Shop unlocks prerequisites
- MAM research trees now show when they are completed
- Added a new icon used in character related unlocks such as additional Hand/Equipment Slots
- Undocumented Change: Introduced new unlocks for new Nobelisk and Rifle Cartridge types
- Undocumented Change: Changed all research (except Hard Drives) to complete within 3 seconds
- Patch 0.5.1.4: Fixed "FICS*MAS Holiday Event" research tree not unlocking in some scenarios
- Patch 0.5.1.3: Reintroduced and updated "FICS*MAS Holiday Event" research tree
- Patch 0.5.0.0: Removed Flower Petal research chain
- Patch 0.4.0.4:
- Fixed multiple events and messages (Like the MAM completion message) being played at the same time
- Fixed bug where the MAM wasn’t able to be sampled with the eyedropper
- Now can be rotated 45 degrees when placing instead of only 90 degrees
- Patch 0.4.0.3: Removed the Radio Control Unit from Quartz Research as it is no longer relevant there
- Patch 0.4.0.2:
- Added MAM completion pop up in HUD
- Fixed the colours when hovering over the MAM text
- Fixed MAM completion global sound not playing
- Updated the size of the Alternate Recipe buttons in the MAM
- Patch 0.4.0.0:
- Added two new researches to Caterium Research
- Added a research completion message
- Patch 0.3.4.14: Changed 0 second researches to 3 seconds in the MAM to solve invisible completion problem for Client players
- Patch 0.3.3.0: Hard Drives have a mesh again when put into the world or analyzed in the MAM
- Patch 0.3.1.1: Fixed that the MAM could get stuck in research and become unusable
- Patch 0.3.1.0: Tweaks to the Alternate Recipe selection in the MAM
- Patch 0.3:
- The MAM was redesigned and became its own separate building. Research is now separated into separate research trees. Now it is no longer tied to the HUB in any way.
- Moved all MAM related milestones out of the HUB and directly into the MAM (MAM becomes its own building and is unlocked at Tier 1)
- Resource Deposits are now far more likely to be MAM related resources
- Patch 0.2.1.6:
- Research time in the MAM should display correctly again
- Researched resource mesh should be displayed in the MAM again
- MAM menu should now always update correctly and have no duplicate entries from picking up items (Quartz, Nuts, Slugs, etc.)
- Patch 0.2.1.5: Selected researches in the MAM should show the correct information again
- Patch 0.1.14: Fixed the MAM getting locked on ongoing research if the time was corrupt
- Patch 0.1.6: Excluded unintended research items from the MAM (Mercer Sphere, Somersloop, Rifle Mk.2)
- Patch Closed Alpha 5.1: Added a notification for completing MAM research
- Patch Closed Alpha 4.1: Fixed not being able to research in the MAM
- Patch Closed Alpha 4.0: Made MAM input slot more obvious
- Patch Closed Alpha 3.0:
- Added sound for the MAM
- The MAM. now automatically selects the item on the top of the list, if nothing else is selected
- MAM Menu is now titled Molecular Analysis Machine
- Patch Closed Alpha 2.0: MAM Menu: Fixed graphical bug that offset the input information.
- Patch Closed Alpha 2018-10-17: Introduced new research game loop using the MAM