The power output of Geothermal Generators fluctuates and is affected by the purity of the Geyser. The fluctuation cycle takes one minute, and depends on the time at which the generator was built.
Both unlocks are in the same research node.
The power output of a Geothermal Generator fluctuates between 0.5 and 1.5 times of its average power generation. The average generation is determined by the Geyser purity:
|Impure||3||50–150 MW||100 MW|
|Normal||9||100–300 MW||200 MW|
|Pure||6||200–600 MW||400 MW|
|Total||18||2250–6750 MW||4500 MW|
Geothermal Generators cannot be overclocked.
- Geothermal Generators can be built on Geysers completely covered by Foundations. The Geyser's steam eruption, however, has to be visible above the foundation.
- Power Storages can be used to mitigate the fluctuating power generation of Geothermal Generators, guaranteeing the average power generation. The number of Power Storages required for this depends on the purity of the Geyser. Power Storages charge at a maximum rate of 100MW, so you need enough Power Storages to consume all excess power above average power generation.
- You need 0.5 Power Storages per impure Geyser.
- You need 1 Power Storage per normal Geyser.
- You need 2 Power Storages per pure Geyser.
- Another fluctuation mitigation strategy is to build pairs of equal-purity Geothermal Generators exactly halfway through each other's cycle (30 seconds apart), thus cancelling each other out, as their phase will be exactly opposite. This leads to guaranteed 200 MW, 400 MW and 800 MW per pair by purity respectively.
- Most Geysers are concentrated in the northern part of the map.
- Each Geyser shoots out hot steam about every 15 seconds. The pioneer is not damaged by this hot steam, but is propelled by it.
- Geysers are the only Resource Nodes that do not produce any items or fluids.
Geothermal Generators built in the Rocky Desert
- Patch 0.8.0.4: Potentially fixed a crash when loading a save that might be affecting saves that have Geothermal power set up
- Patch 0.6.0.15: Updated Geyser icon
- Patch 0.5.0.0:
- Geyser eruptions now propel pioneers upward
- Geothermal Generators no longer all share the same fluctuation cycle
- Patch 0.4.0.0:
- Geothermal Generators no longer have priority over other generators
- Geysers now have purity
- The power output of Geothermal Generators is now dependent on Geyser purity and fluctuates
- The Geothermal Generator GUI is now finished and functions properly
- Unknown patch between Patch 0.3.7 and Patch 0.3.8.0: Renamed from Geo Thermal Generator to Geothermal Generator
- Patch 0.3.3.1: Fixed a bug where some Geysers were still not usable
- Patch 0.3.3.0:
- Geothermal Generators should be buildable on Geysers again
- Minor UI tweak
- Patch 0.3.2.0: Updated and optimized the Geyser idle and burst VFX
- Patch 0.3: Geysers now show just "Geyser" instead of "Geyser cannot be picked up! (Normal)" when approached
- Patch 0.2.1.19: Geyser placement issue in Desert Canyons resulting in ‘Floor is too steep’ when trying to build should be fixed
- Patch 0.1.5: Changed build cost from 25 Cable, 4 Heavy Modular Frame, and 20 Rubber to 30 Cable, 8 Heavy Modular Frame, and 50 Rubber
- Patch 0.1.10: Fixed an invalid Geyser