The Ladder's height can be adjusted between two and 20 meters in steps of two meters: 2/4/6 … 18/20 meters. When building, the first click sets its starting position, then looking up or down sets the height, and the second click confirms the construction.
The handle at the top extends one meter higher than the climbable height.
Additional Ladder segments can be attached each to other, snapping to either the top or the bottom, regardless of the ladder is free-standing or not. This makes it a very versatile tool for vertical traversal.
When “Build in One Click” setting is enabled, Ladder's can be build using one click.
A ladder penetrating water surface, such as the sea level, can be used by engineers for diving into the water. The downward S key needs to be pressed very slowly to avoid being washed away. While in water, it is required to remain attached to the ladder or the engineer will begin floating to the surface.
This method can be used to obtain some collectibles located underwater.
Several buildings also feature a ladder on their side. The following buildings do and are stackable:
- Conveyor Pole Stackable
- Stackable Pipeline Support
- Stackable Hyper Tube Support
- Storage Container
- Industrial Storage Container
- Fluid Buffer
- Industrial Fluid Buffer
Buildings that are non-stackable, but feature a tall ladder:
- Patch 0.7.0.1: Ladder hologram now works with the “Build in One Click” setting
- Patch 0.5.0.6: Changed Ladders to have soft clearance
- Patch 0.3.6:
- Velocity check for all ladders was removed (it is now possible to attach onto them no matter how fast the engineer is moving/falling)