|This article may need cleanup to meet quality standards.|
Please help improve this if you can. The Discussion page may contain suggestions.
There are 7 types of vehicles that pioneers can use for either personal travel, transporting items or both: Tractors, Trucks, Explorers, Cyber Wagons, Factory Carts, Trains and Drones. There is no limit on the number of vehicles in the world. Pioneers and all living creatures (such as Lizard Doggos) can be run over by vehicles, but receive no damage.
Every vehicle except for the Drone can be driven by the Pioneer.
Motor vehicles (excluding the Factory Cart) require fuel to operate, and can use every kind of fuel item. Fuel is input into a fuel slot by accessing the vehicle's inventory, which is usually a red box in the rear of the vehicle.
Different fuels are consumed at different rates, based on the item's fuel value and the vehicle's energy consumption rate. The Tractor consumes the least fuel, followed by the Truck, then the Explorer, and finally the Cyber Wagon which consumes the most. Below is a table of how long, in seconds, each fuel type lasts at maximum acceleration.
|Fuel Type||Fuel Value
|Plasma Spitter Remains||250||8.33s||-||-||-||1.67s||4.55s||3.33s||2.78s||-||-|
|Packaged Liquid Biofuel||750||25.00s||-||-||-||5.00s||13.64s||10.00s||8.33s||-||-|
|Packaged Heavy Oil Residue||400||-||-||-||-||2.67s||7.27s||5.33s||4.44s||-||-|
|Uranium Fuel Rod||750000||-||-||-||300.00s
(1h 23m 20s)
(3h 47m 16s)
(2h 46m 40s)
(2h 18m 53s)
|Plutonium Fuel Rod||1500000||-||-||-||600.00s
(2h 46m 40s)
(7h 34m 32s)
(5h 33m 20s)
(4h 37m 46s)
where the fuel consumption rate is 55MW for the Tractor, 75MW for the Truck, 90MW for the Explorer and 150MW for the Cyber Wagon.
If running at full speed all the time is wasteful (such as if the vehicle's throughput far exceeds that of the source or sink), the vehicle's path can be "underclocked" by including a lengthy pause, during which it will use no fuel. This pause should not be inside a station, as this will cause the station to consume power. Vehicles do not stop recording if the pioneer dismounts, so the player can get out and watch the bottleneck station fill or empty and then resume driving. Alternatively, you can edit the pause node to any desired length in seconds.
Acceleration time is a timer counting down whenever the vehicle is accelerating or otherwise trying to move. This countdown does not occur while a vehicle is stationary or "coasting" down a slope. When a vehicle has no Acceleration Time left and tries to move it will pull one item from its fuel tank and adds its value to the Acceleration Time. The type of fuel being consumed is not recorded, only the burn time is added. This means radioactive fuels such as the Uranium Fuel Rod or the Plutonium Fuel Rod will only make a vehicle radioactive while sitting in the tank, once consumed and added to the Acceleration Time the radiation it produced will cease. (Additional Fuel Rods in the tank or inventory will still generate radiation however.)
Pioneers can enter or exit vehicles by interacting E with it from any angle other than the rear side. Interacting a vehicle from its rear will open up its inventory slots instead, including the fuel slot. When piloting a vehicle, the camera switches to a third-person perspective. Pressing C while in a vehicle locks the view to straight ahead, a second press unlocks the view. There are currently unknown features which will allow performing stunts. Vehicles cannot be upgraded. Some small foliage can be destroyed when run into by a vehicle. In addition, the Tractors can destroy some smaller trees which Trucks cannot.
Trucks and Explorers can perform drift by pressing Spacebar while driving. This allows for tighter, sliding turns, for greater control. It is also possible to "J" turn by backing up S quickly, steering A or D, and pressing Spacebar at the same time, essentially a backwards drift. The Factory Cart has uncontrollable drift when driven on any surface which is not perfectly flat unless driving backwards.
Most creatures ignore the pioneer while driving a vehicle. The exception is Stingers, which will still pursue and attack, but cannot actually do any damage to the vehicle or Pioneer except via the Elite Stinger's poison cloud. Flying Crab Hatchers will hatch when the pioneer approaches in a vehicle, but the Flying Crabs themselves will remain idle.
Pioneers can receive fall damage when riding in some vehicle if the vehicle falls from a height. To avoid damage, exit the vehicle just before reaching the ground. Alternatively, an pioneer falling from height with the vehicle at the lower ground can avoid the fall damage by entering the vehicle just before hitting the ground (such as, by spamming E).
Vehicles themselves are immune to fall damage.
Wheeled vehicles can receive minor damage when hit by a Spitter's fireball attacks. When the HP of the vehicle (displayed at bottom left) depletes to zero, the vehicle is dismantled.
Pioneers are immune to Radiation damage while inside a vehicle.
Wheeled vehicles become disabled if they enter deep water, ejecting the pioneer and refusing to let them remount. This appears to happen when the water level reaches the center of the vehicle's hitbox, so Trucks can handle deeper water than Explorers or Tractors. If a vehicle does get stuck, it's sometimes possible to push a Truck back onto land, but usually the only solution is to dismantle the vehicle and rebuild it out of water.
While in a vehicle the pioneer is immune to out-of-bounds damage.
Automated vehicle paths
To setup autopilot: use the vehicle menu (press Q while driving) to record a path. When recording, way-points (displayed as blue triangles) are placed periodically along the vehicle path. Paths can be saved after recording, and loaded via the vehicle menu to other vehicles of the same type.
The automation uses way-points for pathing: It is a point-to-point system, which means vehicles will always face the current way-point until they reach the next. This means that vehicles will not correctly execute recorded three-point turns, though they can perform multi-point turns on their own initiative. Waypoints and pause points can be edited by interacting with them, to delete superfluous nodes or adjust pause times.
Automated driving requires a clear straight path between way-points and a closed loop of them to work optimally. If a vehicle collides with an obstacle (including another vehicle), it will reverse and adjust its course, but vehicles will not actively avoid each-other.
Monorail trains that consist of Electric Locomotives and Freight Cars can be driven manually or automated using the vehicle menu V. Trains are bound to Railways and cannot derail from them (with the exception of a train crash), even when reaching a dead end which will make them stop instantly.
It is not possible to couple or de-couple Freight Cars. Locomotives and Freight Cars have to be snapped to each other when being constructed, otherwise they will be counted as separate trains and will be able to collide with each other.
A train can be automated by adding Train Stations to its schedule. Trains will cycle through them in loops according to their timetables. Automated Trains will always be stopped at a train station if they fail to brake in advance, for example when the station is right after a steep down slope.
Trains run exclusively on power which ranges between 25MW for each locomotive when it is idle up to 110 MW when speeding up. All train stations also consume 50 MW constantly, in addition +50 MW for every active Freight Platform.
Trains and all pioneers riding in it are completely immune to all forms of damage, as they lack the Vehicle Health bar completely.
- Continue reading: Electric Locomotive
- Trains cannot be built on water, they can, however, be automated to pass through a Railway that is built underwater.
- Pioneers will be ejected out of a Locomotive as soon as the train enter the water's surface.
Drones can be used for low throughput long-range transportation as they don't need any infrastructure besides two drone ports which both need to be connected to power. Drones can be stood on by pioneers although it is recommended to wear a jetpack or parachute, as the pioneer might be thrown off of the drone as the drone accelerates, turns, raises or lowers.
Drones can be automated to bring resources between two drone ports, consuming 4 batteries per trip plus an extra battery per kilometer. Additionally, it takes roughly 50 seconds for the drone to take off or land at a drone port. This means a drone becomes more efficient over longer distances.
Drones run exclusively on batteries, and at least one of the drone ports needs a supply of batteries.
The throughput of a drone can be seen at a drone's home port, here you can see the max throughput, current throughput and trip duration.
- Continue reading: Drone
- Patch 0.8.3.2: You can now enter occupied Vehicles and kick out the driver if the driver is offline
- Patch 0.8.3.1: Invert Look option now also works on Vehicles and Trains
- Patch 0.8.2.0
- Refactored the way Vehicles are outlined
- Camera should not now rubber band as much when driving vehicles as it is now allowed to clip through various objects
- Vehicle engines will now shut down when the vehicle is submerged in water
- Fixed Players being unable to enter a Vehicle if another Player was interacting with the inventory of the Vehicle
- Fixed sliding not ending when entering Vehicles
- Patch 0.8.0.0
- Moved Vehicle physics to using Unreal Engine 5 Chaos
- Overhauled all Vehicle sounds
- Improved the manual driving of all Vehicles
- Reworked all Vehicle trunks visually simplifying the animation and adding a new sound
- Added functionality for Vehicles to deal damage to creatures by hitting them
- Damage dealt is relative to vehicle speed and size
- Patch 0.7.0.2:
- Vehicles should work again :)
- Enable Autopilot button now updates to the Disable Autopilot button after stopping a vehicle path recording
- Patch 0.6.1.1: Polish on the Vehicle Path directional arrows in the Load Path Menu
- Patch 0.6.0.14
- Relevant items now shows fuel types
- Record Vehicle Path button now updates properly
- Editing a path node and setting the wait time to 0 now warns that the time needs to be over 0 seconds
- Added a notification to indicate a path cannot be loaded because there are no paths
- Fixed Vehicle paths being deleted from the Load Vehicle Path Menu not actually disappearing until the menu was closed
- Added a warning when trying to record a vehicle path on a vehicle that has no fuel
- Patch 0.6.0.4: Fixed all build and dismantle interactions getting locked when entering a vehicle by pressing both Q and E at the same time
- Patch 0.6.0.1: Fixed a crash when damaging a player inside a vehicle with explosive damage
- Patch 0.5.1.12
- Fixed a crash that could happen if there’s a deadlock near a non-automated vehicle
- Decreased the collision-avoidance distance for automated vehicles
- Fixed a crash for Multiplayer Clients and Dedicated Server Clients related to vehicle paths
- Fixed an issue with vehicle path recording inside factories sometimes recording docking to Truck Station on floors above the vehicle
- Fixed a crash related to the vehicle representation on the Map
- Patch 0.5.1.11
- Fixed a bug where Vehicles would sometimes get displaced for Clients when far away from other players
- Fixed issue where vehicles would get stuck ghosting
- Fixed bug where the Load Vehicle Path UI would display inaccurate path lengths
- Fixed several minor issues related to vehicle automation
- Fixed a bug where automated vehicles would sometimes be able to move without fuel
- Fixed issue where automated vehicles would sometimes stop moving when about to enter a station right after loading a game
- Fixed issue with automated vehicles sometimes continuing to drive despite being blocked
- Fixed an issue where removing a vehicle target would result in collision avoidance not working anymore for that path
- Fixed issue with automated vehicles sometimes driving into other automated vehicles that are waiting in line
- A HUD message is now displayed every time an automated vehicle gets completely stuck (“deadlock”)
- Patch 0.5.1.9: Load/Save Path menu is now disabled when there are no paths
- Patch 0.5.1.7
- Overhauled the Vehicle Recording UI, no longer a radial menu
- All Vehicle UIs (Trains and Vehicles) are now opened with Q key by default
- Fixed some bugs with the Vehicle HUD not updating properly when stopping a recording midway without closing the loop
- Fixed Freight Cars failing to load/unload correctly with the rule set to Fully Load/Unload which lead to them getting stuck in docking until force cancelled
- Fixed Multiplayer and Dedicated servers Clients not being able to cancel the docking sequence
- Fixed the Map not being properly visible for some players who had previously unlocked more areas of it and added some future proofing so this hopefully doesn’t happen again
- Fixed an issue with automated vehicle wait times being reset when loading a game
- Vehicles should no longer claim targets outside of stations when docked
- Fixed a bug where sometimes vehicle pauses would be longer than intended when they were far from any player
- Fixed issue where automated vehicles in long-distance mode would sometimes get out of sync for Multiplayer and Dedicated servers Client
- Fixed bug where Vehicles weren’t placeable in the Truck Station docking area
- Fixed crash that would sometimes happen when Vehicle path recordings were finished
- Patch 0.5.1.3
- Fixed a bug where pause time on Vehicle Automation was not reset when manually overridden
- Automated vehicles will stay docked until their inventory is empty if unloading cargo
- Moved positions of “Cancel” and “Start/Stop Recording” in the Vehicle Record Menu to avert accidental selections of “Stop Recording
- Patch 0.5.1.1
- Vehicle path arrows in UI now have the correct positions
- Fixed a possible exploit in Vehicle fuel calculations
- Made Vehicles take available fuel for as long as they are docked
- Fixed the fuel consumption metrics in the Truck Stations not accounting for pauses and docking times in the path time
- Fixed a bug where a vehicle might be blocked indefinitely when in long distance mode
- Patch 0.5.0.14
- Vehicles now try to stop ghosting as soon as possible when blocked
- Fixed a calculation error when fuel is added manually
- Directional arrows for the Vehicle in the Map preview when loading a Vehicle Path are now displayed from the centre of the Vehicle
- Added a tooltip for insufficient fuel
- Patch 0.5.0.13
- Fixed an issue where Vehicles would not receive fuel from a station if their fuel inventory was empty
- Fixed an issue where Vehicle Paths were not updated after a station was built over them
- Fixed issues with Vehicles getting out of sync with their Vehicle Stations after loading a game
- Fixed Vehicles burning up fuel when standing still
- Added directional arrows to the path in the Map preview when loading a Vehicle Path
- Patch 0.5.0.12
- Fixed an issue with vehicles being stuck docking forever if there were Fuel issues
- Better detection for when vehicles fall through the ground
- Fixed issue with vehicles sometimes teleporting upwards when loading a game
- Patch 0.5.0.11
- Fixed a crash related to Vehicle Automation
- Fixed a crash when deleting Vehicle path nodes and trying to load that Vehicle Path
- Removed “Delete Path” option from the Vehicle wheel as you can now use “Cancel Recording” does the same thing
- Patch 0.5.0.9
- Fixed Vehicle paths selected from the "All Vehicle Path" tab made by a different vehicle remaining selected when returning to the "Load Vehicle Path" tab
- Fixed a crash in the Vehicle system
- Fixed remaining issues with Fuel and Vehicles
- Vehicle docking wait times are now saved
- Patch 0.5.0.8
- Patch 0.5.0.7: Fixed Vehicles not docking properly when in long-distance simulation mode
- Patch 0.5.0.6
- Fixed Vehicle physics not working as intended on Foundations
- Fixed Vehicle icons not rotating on the [[Map]
- Patch 2018-10-11: Introduced
- "no there isnt varrili" - Jace on Discord when asked "Is there a cap of how many vehicles a player can have?" by Varrili
- "you can run over people :smile:" - Jace on Discord
- "ive already added some secret features to the vehicles that i didn't share that will facilitate stunts" - Jace on Discord
- "not at the moment" - Jace on Discord when asked "Is there plans to have these vehicles be upgrade-able?"
- "if they run into stuff they try and fix themselves eg. reverse away etc" - Jace on Discord