The Map, once unlocked in Tier 1, allows pioneers to view areas of the world that they either have explored or scanned using Radar Towers. In a multiplayer game, the map is shared amongst all players.
It can be accessed with M and zoomed from 0.5x to 8x with the slider or mouse wheel. It can be dragged around with the mouse.
The pioneer or Radar Towers have to be positioned above the terrain to reveal it (for example, when traveling through a cave, the terrain above the cave is not revealed).
The Map can be unlocked at Tier 1 - Field Research. Before it is unlocked, the shortcut in the bottom right of the screen will appear as a blank window with no key displayed.
The following icons show up on the in-game map. Hovering over some reveals additional information:
- Death crates
- Vehicles (excluding Freight Cars)
- The HUB (active milestone)
- Space Elevator (Project Assembly phase and completion progress)
- MAM (current research)
- Radar Towers
- Resource Nodes and Resource Wells' central nodes scanned within the past 25 seconds
- Truck Stations (contents and loading mode)
- Train Stations (power consumption)
- Drone Ports (incoming and outcoming contents and Drone status)
Powered Radar Towers additionally display some additional information in their range. Resource Nodes and Resource Wells' central nodes display permanently, not just 25 seconds after being scanned. The amount of Power Slugs, Somersloops, Mercer Spheres and Crash Sites is listed each and species of flora and fauna are shown, however, their location is not.
The following does not show up on the in-game map:
- Other player built structures not listed above
- Exact location of Power Slugs, Somersloops, Mercer Spheres and Crash Sites
- Resource Deposits
- Poison Gas
- Cracked boulders
Markers and Stamps
Markers and Stamps are custom markers which can be placed freely by players. Markers have a customizable name, size, icon (such as home, vehicle, water, warning, hazard, etc.), color, and Compass view distance. Stamps don't have any customization options, but can be placed in the world without opening the map using Alt + . Both Markers and Stamps can be highlighted.
Once available, a map filter menu in the map allows for the appearance of specific icons to be configured, separately for the map and the compass.
Aiming at a location will display its X and Y coordinates. They can also be inserted to point to that location.
The in-game map does not have the ability to display factory plans or any other player-placed buildings, only basic details are displayed. To be able to view the factory plan on the map, upload the save file to an online map instead.
The boundary of the map before the pioneer starts taking damage.
- Patch 0.8.2.0: Updated the in-game map with the latest changes
- Patch 0.6.0.15: Fixed Markers and Stamps placed on the Map disappearing when reconnecting to a Dedicated Server
- Patch 0.6.0.14
- Fixed issue where the text in the Map filters would stay when closing and opening the Map
- Fixed issue where the Map couldn’t be closed with M or ESC after entering coordinates
- Patch 0.6.0.12: Fixed a bug where Far/Infinite settings on the Map markers were switched
- Patch 0.6.0.10: Fixed so that the light pillar for Map Highlighted Markers is much taller, making it easier to see from afar
- Patch 0.6.0.5
- Patch 0.6.0.4
- Patch 0.6.0.2
- Map Objects are no longer clickable when placing Markers/Stamps, this now means you can place Markers/Stamps on top of other Map Objects (Such as the player, vehicles, other Markers/Stamps, etc.)
- Fixed an issue where the Map Coordinates and placing Stamps/Markers wasn’t working properly when using UI scaling
- Fixed Resources not being shown to clients when opening the Map or Radar Tower
- Fixed the highlighted map markers not being shown on the compass
- Fixed Markers and Stamps not being highlighted on the compass
- Fixed Resources not being shown to Multiplayer Clients or Dedicated Server Clients when opening Map
- Patch 0.6.0.0:
- Increased the Map window size significantly
- The Map is now unlocked in the Tier 1 – Field Research milestone.
- Added new Marker system
- Added new Stamp system
- Stamps can be placed in the world by pressing ALT + RMB
- Added support for Markers & Stamps to be highlighted in world
- Added support for viewing, copying, and inputting map coordinates
- Removed Beacon map functionality
- Beacons currently disappear when used and are automatically converted to a Map Marker that look like this: ⚠.
- All previously placed Beacons will automatically be converted to Map Markers
- Map Markers for inactive Pioneers are now hidden
- Undocumented Change: Updated the in-game map with the latest changes (Spire Coast and Swamp)
- Patch 0.5.1.12: Fixed a crash related to the vehicle representation on the Map
- Patch 0.5.1.11: Fixed Trains and Train Stations not showing the correct location on the Map and Compass
- Patch 0.5.0.14: Directional arrows for the Vehicle in the Map preview when loading a Vehicle Path are now displayed from the centre of the Vehicle
- Patch 0.5.0.13: Added directional arrows to the path in the Map preview when loading a Vehicle Path
- Patch 0.5.0.6: Fixed Vehicle icons not rotating on the Map
- Patch 0.5.0.4: Fixed unlocked visible areas in the Map getting reset
- Patch 0.3.4.15: Updated the in-game map with the latest changes (lakes appear correctly now)
- Patch 0.3.1.0: Updated the in-game map so it contains the changes to the Dune Desert (side effect: this caused some lakes on the map to disappear)
- Patch 0.2.1.9: Fixed that map filters don’t block the map when hidden
- Patch 0.2.1.8: Added the ability to set view distance for beacons on the compass in the map
- Patch 0.2.1.7:
- Minor layout updates on map filter
- Added a small open/close animation for the map filter window
- Patch 0.2.1.5: Added base functionality for filtering the map and compass (still work in progress)
- Patch 0.2.1.4: Added Train Stations and Truck Stations to the map
- Patch 0.1.12: Players now get removed from the compass and map when they disconnect from the game
- Patch 0.1.10: The map now opens centered on the player
- Patch 0.1.9: Fixed a crash related to the map
- Patch 0.1.8: Fixed some map-related crashes (on client and host)
- Patch 0.1.7: Updated some map icons
- Patch 0.1.5: The map is now unlockable through normal gameplay