Somersloops are alien artifacts found throughout the world that currently have no use. They emit a red glow and unusual particles, as well as a pulsating sound that cycles through being loud and quiet. Standing next to one for an extended period of time will result in a voice being heard, urging the player to harvest it. Aside from these sounds, it currently seems to function only as a collectible.
Possible messages received when near a Somersloop include:
- (impatient) "Harvest. It."
- "Harvest it."
- "I strongly advise you to harvest this specimen."
- "Your contract legally compels you to harvest this artifact."
- "You are so lucky that you found this most valuable artifact."
- "Picking up multiple FICSIT personnel in the area, proceed with harvest before it's too late."
- "Breaking news from Earth: widespread chaos and mayhem. World president urges all citizens to do their part and harvest alien artifacts."
- "Relaying message: Hello this is (voice changes) paternal figure (voice changes back). I have taken ill and need your help to find a cure. Doctors say that the only remedy is alien artifacts."
- There are 150 Somersloops in the game.
- The Somersloop may be a reference to the "Cool S", a popular symbol typically found doodled in children's notebooks. Its description referring to it as a "somehow familiar shape" could reflect the unclear origin and spread of the S drawing.
- Patch 0.8.0.0: Somersloops can no longer be deleted in the inventory
- Patch 0.4.0.0: Made Somersloops much more visible by adding light effects
- Unknown patch: Description now contains the text "WORK IN PROGRESS ANALYZING THIS WILL NOT GIVE YOU ANYTHING" and the item's in-game name was changed to "Somersloop WIP"
- Patch 0.1.6: Somersloops are again no longer scannable in the MAM
- Patch 0.1.5: Somersloops can now be scanned in the MAM again. After it is scanned, ADA will tell the pioneer that obtaining more samples of the Somersloop will be rewarded with new building options, however, no additional rewards were ever provided. Scanning it would only allow them to be chosen in the Object Scanner. The research was repeatable with no rewards.
- Patch 0.1: Somersloops are no longer scannable in the MAM