The Chainsaw is a tool used to cut down flora in a target area by consuming Solid Biofuel. It allows the pioneer to harvest things that can't be harvested by hand, such as trees, some shrubs, and small rocks, or to clear an area of these things.
|Recipe||Ingredients||Produced in||Products||Unlocked by|
|Tier 2 - Obstacle Clearing|
With the Chainsaw equipped, approach some flora (valid flora will be highlighted with a white outline) and Use to cut it. After the animation finishes, all flora within a 5-meter radius is cut (centered on the targeted object).. Some nearby small rocks will also be destroyed and yield Limestone or Silica, although the rocks can't be targeted directly. All items produced by the destroyed flora, including removed stones, will be transferred into the player's inventory. Several types of trees cannot be cut, usually large trees.
While the AoE can not be directly turned off, if there isn't enough space in the player's inventory, only the targeted (highlighted) flora is cut and no items are obtained. This is a known bug and not an intentional feature.
The Chainsaw cannot be used as a weapon; it does no damage to any creature.
- The Chainsaw is primarily used to collect Leaves, Wood, and Mycelia ingredients which are all used to create Biomass.
- The Chainsaw can be used to collect Flower Petals by cutting down large trees or clusters of Flowers, and also be used to collect Silica obtained by cutting down Coral.
The Chainsaw currently uses Solid Biofuel as fuel. It consumes 75 MW and Solid Biofuel has 450 MJ of energy, therefore one Solid Biofuel is consumed every six seconds.
The chainsaw does not support multiple fuel types due to UI limitations; there isn't currently a way for the player to specify what fuel it should consume.
- In Closed Alpha the Chainsaw Graphic Mesh used a Blue Color.
- Despite being powered by a solid form of biomass, the chainsaw still sounds like it is powered by liquid fuel.
- Snutt has prototyped different modes for the Chainsaw.
- Even if Chainsaw is equipped, Pioneer can still opt to pick up small foliages manually. However, as foliage actual pickup hitbox is reduced to its base area while a Chainsaw is held, Holster H to allow foliages to be picked up more easily.
Chainsaw held in one hand during Alpha Test Weekend.
Chainsaw held in two hands during Alpha Test Weekend.
- Patch 0.8.2.0: Fixed Chainsaw displaying and behaving incorrectly in Multiplayer
- Patch 0.7.0.6: Fixed an issue where icons would show up blank after Holstering equipment that uses fuel
- Patch 0.5.0.8: Increased the amount of Wood that is obtained from chainsawing pine trees in Northern Forest
- Patch 0.6.0.4: Fixed Chainsaw sounds
- Patch 0.6.0.0: Reworked Chainsaw audio
- Patch 0.5.0.6: Fixed Chainsaw custom volume settings not working properly
- Patch 0.3.4.0: Sound tweaked, reduced sound volume.
- Unknown patch before Alpha Test Weekend: Chainsaw AoE was added. Previously it only destroyed one object.
- Patch 2018-10-11: Introduced
- Q&A: How does the AoE on the Chainsaw work?
- Q&A: Any way to toggle AoE on the Chainsaw?
- Q&A: If you have a full inventory you can remove just a single tree but you don't get the resources?
- Q&A: Why does the Chainsaw only run on Solid Biofuel?
- YouTube - Satisfactory - CHAINSAW #3 - Chainsaw One Hand Hold
- YouTube - Satisfactory - CHAINSAW #3 - Chainsaw Two Hand Hold
- YouTube - October 6th, 2020 Livestream - Q&A: Why is the Chainsaw a gasoline 2-stroke?
- YouTube - September 27th, 2022 Livestream - Q&A: Chainsaw modes?